Isn’t everybody’s favorite candy in a box of chocolate the chocolate covered caramel ones? I never had a rolo up until a few weeks ago. I KNOW, crazy right?! And I cant believe how much they taste like my favorite chocolate that I only get a few times a year!! These are definitely one of my new favorites. I knew I wanted to bake something with them, so I thought why not throw them in some chocolate cookies! Then I thought, plain chocolate is pretty boring, I already made almond joy and peppermint pattie chocolate cookies (different cookie base), so I wanted to change it up a bit and add some peanut butter to the mix! I only added a little bit because I wanted chocolate to be the dominant flavor with just a hint of peanut butter. These cookies are seriously perfection! So incredibly chewy with a brownie-like texture. They are so soft and will stay that way for days! You can use this recipe as the base and put any candy you’d like in them if you don’t want to use rolos or peanut butter chips.
The rolos in the cookie dough make it sooo gooey. The caramel just oozes out making them even more soft and chewy. Just a tip, try to make sure there are no rolos appearing underneath the cookies, make sure the dough is covering them because the caramel will ooze out making it hard to get them off the parchment paper. It’s not that big of a deal though, just makes life a easier! I added the peanut butter chips just to kick up the peanut butter flavor since I didn’t use much in the mix, and peanut butter was the perfect accompaniment to the caramel and chocolate flavors! How can you go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate? Not possible.
The best part about these cookies are the little puddles of caramel that formed in and on the cookies as the rolos melted. I love an ooey gooey cookie fresh out of the oven and these were completely irresistible!
Chocolate PB Rolo Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter I like either Jif or Skippy
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 cup rolos halved
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and corn starch together, set aside.
- Beat the melted butter and sugars together until smooth. Add the eggs, egg yolk and vanilla and mix until completely combined. Mix in the peanut butter. Pour in the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Dough will be very thick. Fold in the rolos and peanut butter chip by hand with a spoon or rubber spatula until evenly distributed.
- Scoop 1 rounded tablespoon of dough for each cookie, roll into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet. Flatten them down to the shape you want because they barely spread or rise. Optional - you can add some extra chopped rolos and peanut butter chips to the tops of cookies for presentation.
- Place cookies into preheated oven and bake for 7-8 minutes. They may seem underdone but will firm up as they cool. This is what makes them chewy. Remove from oven, let cool on baking sheets for 5-10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to finish cooling.