Hey! I’m finally back after a couple weeks of having no computer due to hard drive failure which was a COMPLETE nightmare! We almost lost ALL of our newborn/baby pictures of our son which would have been absolutely horrible. But, we managed to salvage lots of it, THANK god. Anyways, I’m going to tell you about my most favorite muffins. These muffins are the best, best, best. They have such a delicious flavor due to the extra spices and amount of bananas used. I wanted to find a muffin recipe that I loved and could eat one or two of them without feeling the guilt afterwards. They are so moist and delicious you would never know they are low in fat! I have one of these every single morning with my coffee (slathered in butter of course!), they’re my favorite!
Even though there is whole wheat flour used in these banana muffins, you would never know it! There’s no cardboard-ey after taste and they aren’t bland or dry by ANY means. They are super flavorful and moist from the bananas and the combination of the different spices mask the whole wheat flavor. I’m no health expert, but I calculated the calories and it clocks into just under 200 calories per muffin. Feel free to copy and paste the recipe into a calorie counter yourself to be sure. And yes, I realize there is a whole cup of brown sugar used, but if you break it down into how much is actually in each muffin, it’s not really that much (in my opinion). You could easily replace the brown sugar with honey or any other sweetener to make it a bit more health friendly. I just really love the flavor the brown sugar has so I stick with it.
You can also add chocolate chips for some extra sweetness. Perfect for a late night chocolate craving!
These muffins freeze beautifully and I always, always have them on hand to grab and go on those busy mornings. Pop them into the microwave for about 30 seconds and you’re ready to go!
My Favorite Skinny Banana Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- 4 ripe bananas mashed well (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c nonfat greek yogurt or regular yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease or line cupcake tins and set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl, set aside. In another larger bowl, combine melted coconut oil, mashed bananas(a few small chunks are ok), egg, yogurt and vanilla and mix until completely smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet a little bit at a time and mix until just combined, don't over mix.
- Scoop batter with an ice cream scoop into prepared muffin tins all the way to the top. Bake for 19-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pans for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This is important because muffins will become dry if they are left in hot pan too long.
- Muffins will keep for about a week in an airtight container. To freeze, let muffins cool completely then wrap each individually in plastic wrap and place in a large zip top bag. Frozen muffins will keep for 2-3 months (if they last that long!).
Recipe adapted from Two Peas & Their Pod