These vanilla cupcakes will be your absolute favorite! They are sooo super moist and fluffy with a perfect light crumb.
Since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, I decided to decorate mine with a light pink frosting and lots of cute little heart sprinkles. Sidenote: Isn’t that pillow in the background so cute?! I found it at Target for $3! Score!
These cupcakes have an intense vanilla flavor and smooth buttery richness. I added much more vanilla than most traditional vanilla cupcakes call for, but I just always feel like the vanilla never shines through enough for me!
Also, I used a vanilla bean which really amps up the flavor.
Do you see all of those little vanilla bean flecks? So beautiful! ^
You can frost these with any kind of frosting, really. I like to frost my vanilla cupcakes with my deliiiiicious Vanilla Buttercream. This frosting is my favorite vanilla buttercream ever! Of course, everyone’s taste buds are different. But, I really don’t like a frosting that is so sickeningly sweet that you get a stomach ache after one bite. This frosting has the perfect amount of sweetness and is just sooo fluffy. I could not stop stealing spoonfuls out of the bowl!
This recipe is a huge favorite in my family and I know it will be one in yours too! Enjoy!
Super Moist Vanilla Cupcakes With Vanilla Buttercream
- Vanilla Cupcake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean or substitute 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 egg whites 1 whole egg
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tbs + 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- Vanilla Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 4-5 tbs heavy cream
- For the Cupcake:
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Scrape vanilla bean and add to sugar. Mix around until separated and set aside.
- 3. Whip the butter until light and fluffy about 2 minutes.
- 4. Add in the vanilla sugar until fluffy.
- 5. Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
- 6. Sift together all dry ingredients and add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
- 7. Mix in the sour scream and vanilla until combined.
- 8. Add milk then pour in the rest of the flour mixture and mix until smooth. Don't over mix!
- 9. Pour into your cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the frosting:
- 1. Using the whisk attachment, beat the butter until very light and fluffy for about 4 minutes.
- 2. Add in half of the confectioner's sugar until incorporated.
- 3. Mix in the heavy cream and vanilla until smooth.
- 4. Add in the rest of the confectioner's sugar and whip the frosting until it is really fluffy.
- *If you want a thinner frosting, add more heavy cream. Add less if you want a thicker frosting.