Aren’t these bars just the cutest?! Nothing screams Spring or Easter more! Every year for Easter I usually make cut out sugar cookies and the whole process is just so incredibly long and annoying. Make the dough, chill the dough, roll, cut, roll, cut, roll cut… about 20 more times. Then icing them is an even bigger nightmare. Such a long process when you can just make it easy on yourself and make sugar cookie bars!!! I don’t know why I never thought to do this! Adding some marshmallows, fun sprinkles and colorful M&M’s makes them so festive and adorable. The marshmallows on top of them gives them such a chewiness that I love. Marshmallows and sugar cookies are an amazing combination!
The sugar cookies bars themselves are perfectly buttery and sweet. I underbaked them just a bit because I wanted them to stay chewy and soft. I always HATE when I get a sugar cookie that either crumbles in my lap or breaks my teeth when I bite into it. No thanks. I want my sugar cookies to be melt-in-your-mouth soft and chewy, and that’s exactly what these bars are! If you don’t want them as chewy, you can for sure bake them longer, but I don’t recommend it! The dough comes together in minutes and there is no chilling time! Woo! Also, even better there no rolling and cutting out shapes a million times over again then icing over 5o individual cookies. Omg, the horror. I dread decorating cookies every year and these bars totally give me a reason not to do it anymore!
I didn’t use a leavener in these because I wanted to keep them as dense and chewy as possible.
To make these, just get the dough ingredients together as stated in the recipe and press it into the pan for baking. That’s it! Once the bars are almost done, I took them out and placed the marshmallows on top and then sprinkled some M&M’s over them and baked for 2 more minutes just so the marshmallows get puffy and gooey and the M&M’s get a little softer. Once they are done, sprinkle some cute sprinkles over top of them. You can never have enough. I used confetti, non-pareils and some BUNNY sprinkles!! I just about died when I saw them sitting in my pantry from last year because I never used them and completely forgot about them!
These bars are so colorful and fun. I bet you just can’t help but smile when you see them!
Marshmallow M&M Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups marshmallows
- 1/4-1/2 cup M&M's
- sprinkles to garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper or foil leaving some hanging on each side. Set aside.
- 2. Mix together the melted butter and sugar until smooth.
- 3. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until completely combined.
- 4. Add in the flour and mix until everything is incorporated.
- 5. Press dough into pan making sure everything is even. It will be very sticky at first but once you start working with it, it will smooth out.
- 6. Place in preheated oven and bake for 16-19 minutes.
- 7. Take bars out. They should almost be done with the edges set and the middle still a little soft. Pour the marshmallows on top, try to fill every spot. Sprinkle some M&M's on top of them. Bake for 2 more minutes until marshmallows are puffy.
- 8. Immediately sprinkle some sprinkles on top. Don't wait too long or they will not stick.
- 9. Let the bars cool for about 5 minutes then pull them out by the lining and place on a wire rack or counter to finish cooling for about 20 minutes. Once cooled, cut with a wet knife and serve.
- * Bars will keep for up to 5 days in an air tight container.*