For the Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, shortening, molasses and sugars on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy.
4. Beat in the eggs and vanilla on low until combined.
5. Incorporate all dry ingredients slowly until everything is smooth.
6. If you are adding food coloring, you may add it now. Add a little bit at a time. (This gives it more of a dark orangey color like Little Debbie's. Use more yellow than red.)
7. Roll dough into balls about 2 tbs each. These will be very big, so spread them out a bit. If you want them smaller, do 1 tbs of dough per ball (and take a few minutes off of bake time).
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will be very soft when done but will firm up once cooled. Don't over bake!
9. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack or counter to finish cooling.
For the Cream filling
1. In the bowl if your stand mixer, whip butter, shortening and fluff on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. Add in powdered sugar and mix on low until combined.
3. Increase speed to medium-high and continue to whip until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
4. Scoop some filling out with a cookie scoop and spread along one side of a cookie. Sandwich another cookie on top and continue until all cookie sandwiches are filled!