Creamy brie cheese and sweet homemade cherry preserves are wrapped up in a buttery and flakey dough for a delicious combination.
Give me allllll the brie! I love it all ways - hot or cold. But my favorite way to eat it that I don't have as often as I'd like, is wrapped and baked in puff pastry. I have raved over and over again about how much I love Wewalka's Puff Pastry Dough (and all of the other kinds of dough they offer). It's buttery, and EXTREMELY flakey - you would never know it is store-bought. There's something about the delicious, flakey dough filled with creamy brie cheese that I just go nuts over.
You can buy cherry preserves if you'd like, but making them at home is so ridiculously easy and tastes so much better that its worth it to just make it yourself. Trust me, you'll thank me!
How to make homemade cherry preserves
- Frozen cherries go into a pot with some sugar and simmer for a bit to release their juices. I like to use frozen fruit for making preserves because I feel like I get much more gooey liquid out of them.
- Mash them down just slightly to release more juices.
- A mixture of cornstarch and water is added to thicken them up slightly. You'll need to cool the cherries before using in the recipe.
How to make cherry and brie puff pastry pockets
Assembling the pockets is super easy.
- First, roll out the dough and cut it into 8 rectangles.
- Place a thin slice of brie on the center of 4 of them, and top with the cherry preserves.
- The remaining 4 pieces of dough go on top. Brush egg wash on the edges and pinch them together with a fork.
- Then you'll brush the tops with some more egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Cut a few slits in the top to release some pressure while baking.
- Bake them up until golden brown and flakey!
These are so perfect for brunch, breakfast or any holiday party!
If you make this recipe, I’d LOVE to know what you think below! I would so appreciate you leaving a star rating and/or comment. Also, please don’t forget to share a photo of your delicious finished recipe on Instagram or Facebook and give me a tag so I can see!
Cherry and Brie Puff Pastry Pockets
- 6 oz dark sweet cherries frozen
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tbs corn starch
- 1 tbs water
- 1 pkg. Wewalka Puff Pastry Dough
- 8 oz brie cheese sliced into rectangular slices
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat cherries and sugar on medium-low heat, stir well. Press the cherries down with the back of your spoon, mashing them slightly to release more of their juices. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk corn starch and water together and add to cherries, stirring until thickened. Remove cherry preserves from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Unroll refrigerated Puff Pastry Dough on enclosed parchment paper and place on a baking sheet. Using a pizza wheel or a sharp knife, cut dough into 8 pieces. On four of the pieces, lay a slice of brie and spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of cherry preserves on top of each.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and water together. Brush the edges with egg wash and cover each square with a piece of remaining dough. Pinch the edges of pockets shut with a fork.
- Brush the tops of each pocket with a light coating of egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. With a sharp knife, cut two slits into the tops of each pocket to allow air to be released.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.