Flavorful, smooth and cheesy, this is the best creamy beer cheese dip for pretzels! It comes together quickly and is easy to make with simple, no-fuss ingredients.
This beer cheese dip is one of my favorite things to make alongside of my soft pretzels recipe when we have company! It's the perfect appetizer for parties, game day, or any get togethers. It would even be great as an appetizer for St. Patrick's Day.
Ingredients for beer cheese sauce
- Butter: I use salted butter in this recipe. Unsalted butter will also work well. Just season to taste
- Flour: All-purpose flour will be whisked in with melted butter to create a roux. This will ensure you have a smooth and creamy base for your beer cheese dip. I have not tested any other kinds of flour with this recipe so I am unsure how it will turn out.
- Whole milk: I recommend using whole milk to add more fat content so this dip is creamier. 2% will also work but will affect texture slightly.
- Beer: I talk about the best beer to use in cheese dip below.
- Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, cayenne, salt & pepper.
- Freshly shredded cheese: PLEASE shred your own cheese for the creamiest results! Just like in my best buffalo chicken dip. Pre-shredded cheese will not melt smooth enough. I like to use a mixture of sharp cheddar and gouda. You can use one cheese or two, whatever your favorites are!
- Hot sauce & Worcestershire sauce: These give the dip an extra little kick of flavor.
How to make beer cheese dip for pretzels
- Melt the butter and whisk in flour until thick, creating a roux.
- Slowly whisk in milk and continue whisking until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Whisk in beer slowly and remaining ingredients.
- Serve warm. Dip will thicken as it cools. It will have a texture like "pub style" beer cheese dip once it cools down completely.
Any beer will likely taste fine in this dip. Keep in mind that it will taste like the beer that you use so I would stay away from fruity-based beers. The deeper the flavor of the beer, the more robust your dip will taste.
Yes! You can make it up to one day in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Before serving, heat it on the stove low and slow, whisking constantly until smooth again. I recommend adding a little bit more milk to get it back to a smooth consistency again.
What to serve with creamy beer cheese dip
- Homemade pretzel bites or whole pretzels are my absolute favorite thing to make and serve with this cheese dip!
- Honestly, any kind of bread would be delicious! Fresh crusty bread, pita, bread sticks or crostini are all great options.
- Chips: Pita chips, tortilla chips or hard pretzels.
- Vegetables: Celery, cauliflowe or bell peppers.
More easy dip recipes you'll love
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Creamy Beer Cheese Dip for Pretzels
- 4 tablespoon salted butter
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup beer*
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese* freshly grated
- 1 cup gouda cheese* freshly grated
- Freshly grate all cheese before beginning recipe.
- Melt butter on medium-low heat setting. Whisk in flour until thickened and smooth, creating a roux. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in milk and beer alternating the two, whisking continuously until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Whisk in hot sauce, worcestershire sauce and spices until combined.
- Gradually add cheese and whisk until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve immediately.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.