This easy Strawberry Icebox Cake is such a delicious dessert to bring to any Summer potluck that everyone will rave about! The graham crackers get soft and cake-like and are stuffed between layers of sweetened whipped cream and juicy strawberries. Perfection!
This classic strawberry ice box cake is by far my favorite summer dessert! You guys love it too because it has remained a reader favorite for years and years now! I have had lot of feedback from this recipe. Many of you don't like to use Cool Whip and I understand that - call me crazy but I actually like the flavor of it! When you want a super quick and easy dessert, this really comes in handy. If you have time to make homemade whipped cream, which really only takes a few extra minutes, I definitely recommend it because it is so delicious. I have updated the recipe card with a homemade whipped cream option.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Great make-ahead dessert. Strawberry icebox cake is such a great recipe for when you need to make a dessert ahead of time because it actually requires to be prepared ahead and chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Simple ingredients. Only 3 ingredients are needed for this recipe.
- Extremely easy to make. Like, insanely easy. You are just layering ingredients for this dessert and popping it in the refrigerator until it softens and sets properly. Easy peasy!
This is my go-to when I have company or am going to a potluck where there are lots of people to feed. I love how refreshing it is since it is chilled until ready to serve. So perfect for the warm Summer months. There's something about strawberries and fresh whipped cream together that just screams summer to me! The graham crackers layered between get nice and soft, almost like a thin cake-y layer. All of the flavors together are so delicious! It reminds me of strawberry shortcake.
Looking to satisfy your chocolate cravings? Give my S'mores Icebox Cake a try! It is one of my absolute favorite easy recipes to make in the summertime. Or any time of the year really! It's always a huge hit.
Ingredients for strawberry icebox cake
Only THREE ingredients are needed for this insanely delicious layered strawberry icebox cake recipe.
- Strawberries: Juicy, ripe strawberries are sliced thin.
- Frozen (thawed) whipped topping: For this strawberry icebox cake, I give you 2 options for the whipped cream. The easiest way to make it is to use store-bought frozen whipped topping for the creamy layers. Some of you aren't fans of cool whip and I get that, so in the recipe card I offer a homemade whipped cream option. To take this recipe up a notch, I actually recommend making fresh homemade whipped cream opposed to cool whip! You can find my recipe in the recipe card below. It only take a few extra minutes to whip it up and is extra delicious!! I love this icebox cake either way, though and I know you will too.
- Graham crackers: Honey graham crackers are used in this recipe.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Berry variations: Replace strawberries with raspberries or blueberries.
- Cookie Variations: Substitute honey graham crackers with chocolate graham crackers for a chocolate twist.
- Flavored Whipped Cream: Add a twist to the whipped cream by incorporating different flavors. For example, you can infuse it with almond extract, or even a hint of lemon extract for a bright citrus component to this dessert.
- Chocolate sauce: Drizzle between the layers and on top for a chocolatey twist.
How to make strawberry icebox cake
Below I will show you how to layer this recipe. You will essentially have 3 layers each of graham crackers, whipped cream and strawberries.
This dessert is always always a hit and is especially great for feeding large crowds! Everyone always goes CRAZY for it. It's no-bake too, so no turning on your oven on those really hot summer days! The combination of the melt-in-your-mouth graham crackers layered between the juicy strawberries and sweet creamy whipped cream is truly an experience.
If you want a delicious, SUPER easy and simple dessert to make, you've got to try this! I promise it will not disappoint.
Icebox cakes get their name from how they were originally stored back in the 1920s and 1930s. They were stored in a non-mechanical version of what we know today as a refrigerator, called an icebox. Which is how they got the name icebox cake!
Icebox cakes are a simple no-bake dessert tat require just a few ingredients and the flavor combinations are virtually endless. They are made by layering ingredients like cookies, wafers or cake slices and a creamy filling like whipped cream and/or pudding. Additions like fruit are very popular. They are stored
More no-bake recipes to enjoy
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Strawberry Icebox Cake
- 3 lbs strawberries thinly sliced
- 24 honey graham crackers
- 24 oz frozen whipped topping thawed
Homemade Whipped Cream Option
- 6 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make homemade whipped cream (if desired), beat heavy cream to stiff peaks. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, spread a thin layer of whipped topping just to coat the bottom. Place graham crackers across the center of pan and sides, breaking them as needed to fit around the edges.
- Spread a thick layer of whipped topping over graham crackers and top with a hearty layer of sliced strawberries.
- Place another layer of graham crackers on top of strawberries, then whipped topping, then strawberries. Repeat the layers 1 more time (3 times total) and you should reach the top of the pan. You will finish with a layer of sliced strawberries on top.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours or overnight until the graham crackers have softened. Serve chilled.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.