My favorite scones are loaded with cinnamon and topped with a sweet glaze that makes them taste just like a cinnamon roll!
You guys. I cannot describe in words HOW AMAZING these scones are. The idea of cinnamon chip glazed scones came to me on a whim on a random weekday a few weeks ago and they are absolutely hands down my favorite scones in the entire universe. I've been going crazy with the scone baking lately. My favorite recipe is the perfect base for ANY scone concoction you can think up. I have orange scones and lemon blueberry scones on my site already and another super delicious scone recipe is coming soon, too! I've become an addict of the scone variety and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Normally I REALLY try to have self control when I bake, but these scones.. they are my weakness.
There's so much cinnamon flavor going on here. First there's cinnamon in the dough. Then we've got cinnamon chips folded in - which are INCREDIBLE. And before baking, the scones are topped with a crunchy cinnamon sugar coating which totally takes them over the top. These scones taste EXACTLY like a cinnamon roll and that's exactly what I was going for! The glaze on top is just the icing on the cake, it really brings these scones that traditional cinnamon roll feel. I've been making these over and over, we just cannot get enough of them!
These scones would be perfect for a weekend breakfast treat or even a brunch! Or.. dessert? These are SO GOOD in the morning with a cup of coffee. Sooo good.
Whoever you choose to serve these to, they will for sure be coming back for seconds, so you may want to make a double batch!
Cinnamon Chip Glazed Scones
*Cinnamon Chip Scones*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tbs light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter frozen
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup cinnamon chips
*Cinnamon Sugar Topping*
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbs milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set oven rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss flour, both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. In a separate small bowl, whisk sour cream and egg until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Grate frozen butter into flour mixture. Using your hands, work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Gently stir in sour cream mixture until just about combined. Carefully stir in the cinnamon chips. Do not over work the dough! Again, very gently press the dough against the sides of the bowl a few times and form a ball. The dough will be sticky at first but will come together as you form it.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and lightly pat into an 8" circle about ¾" thick. Use a very sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles (like a pizza). Transfer triangles onto prepared baking sheet in a circle shape or in two rows (4 in each row) leaving about 1" between each one. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of scones before baking.
- Bake scones for 15-17 minutes or until the tops begin to golden. Don't take them out too early or they will be too soft. Allow them to cool for 10 minutes on the pan before transferring onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely. During this time, prepare glaze. Stir together confectioner's sugar, vanilla and milk or cream until smooth. I like to use cream because it makes a thicker glaze. Once completely cooled, go ahead and either dip the tops of the scones into the glaze or drizzle it on top with a spoon as pictured.
- Cinnamon Chip Glazed Scones will stay fresh for up to 6 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you enjoyed these scones, you'd also love these scone recipes!
Fresh Orange Scones (one of my most popular recipes!)