These Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins are a must-make! The chocolate-y richness complements the nutty peanut butter, while the bananas add natural sweetness, creating a delicious combination of flavors.
Anytime I can sneak chocolate into breakfast, I know it's going to be a good day. Muffins are such a fun treat that the whole family can enjoy. Plus, they are perfectly portable for on-the-go! I don't think that these are the healthiest choice for breakfast, but the peanut butter has protein and banana is fruit so that counts for something, right? Kind of kidding.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy, one bowl, 30 minute recipe!
- The trio of chocolate + peanut butter + banana is unmatched.
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Buttermilk: Add 2 teaspoons of white distilled vinegar or fresh lemon juice to ¾ cup of milk in this recipe. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Vanilla extract
- Mashed banana: About 2-3 very ripe bananas.
- Vegetable oil
- Mini chocolate chips: Or any type of chips, chunks or chopped chocolate you'd like.
- Peanut butter: Melted slightly for easier swirling. You can feel free to use your favorite nut butter in it's place.
Substitutions & Variations
- Use your favorite nut butter in place of peanut butter.
- Nutty: Use chunky peanut butter or add nuts of your choice. Chopped peanuts, walnuts, almonds or pecans would be tasty.
- Chips: Replace mini chocolate chips with a different flavor - peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips are good options.
Feel free to use crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy.
For an extra flavor boost, consider adding a touch of cinnamon or a sprinkle of sea salt to the batter.
Use ripe bananas with brown spots. They are easier to mash and will give the muffins moisture, natural sweetness and a better flavor
These muffins are super moist and have such a wonderful texture with lots of melty chocolate inside! Um, yum.
More recipes you'll enjoy
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder regular
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk see notes section to make your own
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup mashed ripe banana 2-3 bananas
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 tbs peanut butter melted slightly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, both sugars, baking soda, baking powder, salt and together until thoroughly combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips and gently toss the rest into the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, mashed bananas and oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it. Gently stir until everything is just combined. You don't want to over-mix or you will have tough muffins.
- Scoop batter (I like to use an ice cream scoop) into prepared muffin tin ¾ to the top. Drizzle melted peanut butter on top of each muffin and swirl with the tip of a knife or toothpick. Sprinkle a few of the reserved chocolate chips on top and gently press them down.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs on it. Allow muffins to cool in hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.