These Double Chocolate Muffins are intensely chocolatey and super moist with a tight crumb. The combination of the tender chocolate muffins and gooey chocolate chips creates a delicious chocolate explosion that's perfect for breakfast or any time you're craving a sweet treat.
Do you like chocolate? I sure hope so. These chocolate chocolate chip muffins have so much chocolatey goodness going on. They're chocolate on chocolate and they're not sorry about it. They're one of my favorite breakfast treats and they go oh-so perfectly with a steaming hot cup of coffee! Or hot chocolate.
These double chocolate chip muffins bake up SO beautifully. I love how they have perfect crackly dome uniformed tops! There's nothing worse than having a bland chocolate muffin (or bland chocolate anything..). If I'm going to waste calories on a muffin, especially for breakfast, it better be amazing.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Chocolate lovers, unite!: If you're a chocoholic, these muffins are a dream come true. With a rich cocoa batter and gooey chocolate chips, they offer a double dose of chocolate goodness in every bite.
- Easy to Make: This double chocolate chip muffin recipe is straightforward and achievable, making it a great recipe for anyone to make.
- Texture: The combination of buttermilk, oil and extra dark brown sugar in the recipe ensures that these fudgy chocolate muffins are incredibly moist and melt-in-your-mouth tender.
This double chocolate muffin recipe uses mostly pantry staple ingredients so they are incredibly easy to make.
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Dark cocoa powder: Optional, you may use 2 tbs of regular cocoa powder. I like to use a small amount of dark cocoa to intensify the chocolate flavor.
- Dark brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Buttermilk see notes to make your own
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Strong coffee: You can use 1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso mixed with ¼ cup hot water
- Mini chocolate chips: Or any type of chips, chunks or chopped chocolate you'd like
Substitutions & Variations
- Add fresh berries like raspberries, strawberries or cherries.
Use high-quality cocoa powder and chocolate chips for extra richness and intense chocolate flavor.
To achieve a tender texture, avoid over-mixing the batter. Mix until the dry and wet ingredients are just combined.
More muffin recipes you'll enjoy
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Double Chocolate Muffins
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder regular
- 2 tbs dark cocoa powder optional, you may use 2 tbs of regular cocoa powder
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk see notes to make your own
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup strong coffee you may use 1 teaspoon instant coffee mixed with ¼ cup hot water
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat 350°F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or grease very well with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, both cocoa powders, both sugars, baking soda, baking powder and salt together until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it. Stir until almost combined, then add hot coffee. Keep stirring until everything is just combined. Reserve 2 tbs of chocolate chips to sprinkle on top and gently fold in the rest. You don't want to over-mix or you will have tough muffins.
- Scoop batter (I like to use an ice cream scoop) into prepared muffin tin ¾ to the top, don't be afraid to fill them. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top of each cup of batter and gently press them down.
- Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs on it. Allow muffins to cool in hot pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.