These healthier banana muffins are super moist and loaded with so much great flavor. My favorite muffins!
There's just nothing like the sweet aroma of banana (anything) muffins in the oven wafting through your house. These lightened up banana muffins are my absolute favorite muffins ever. ever. ever. They use healthier ingredients and clock in just under 200 calories per muffin. Score! Plus, they are seriously delicious!! And, after a day like yesterday, where you eat alllllll day long (wait.. football was on? I thought it was a mini Katy Perry/Missy Elliot concert.. p.s Missy Elliot KILLED IT), these lightened-up banana muffins are a great healthier treat to get back on track.
Lightened-Up Banana Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- pinch cloves
- 4 ripe bananas mashed well (about 1 ¾ cups)
- 1 cup brown sugar*
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- ½ c non-fat vanilla greek yogurt*
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease or line cupcake tins and set aside.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl, set aside. In another larger bowl, combine melted coconut oil, mashed bananas (a few small chunks are ok), egg, yogurt and vanilla and mix until completely smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet a little bit at a time and mix until just combined, don't over mix.
- Scoop batter with an ice cream scoop into prepared muffin tins all the way to the top. Bake for 19-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Let muffins cool in pans for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle without burning yourself then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. This is important because muffins will become dry if they are left in hot pan too long.
- Muffins will keep for 7 days stored in an airtight container. To freeze, let muffins cool completely then wrap each individually in plastic wrap and place in a large plastic freezer bag. Frozen muffins will keep for about 3 months (if they even last that long!).