Classic Glazed Chocolate Cake Donuts you can make at home that actually taste like donuts, not just chocolate cake in donut form. Ready in just 30 minutes!
These donuts are just like the kind you'd get at a bakery. Just perfectly basic, not too sweet, moist, yet crumby baked chocolate donuts. But they are far from basic! They have a deep chocolate flavor and the crispy crackly sweet glaze on the outside gives them the extra sweetness they need. I love that these donuts are baked because the batter literally comes together in minutes and they're in the oven and on your table in under 30 minutes!
You will need a donut pan for this recipe but I promise you, once you buy one you will not be able to stop making ALLTHEDONUTS! Some of my other favorite donut recipes on my site are my cinnamon roll donuts and cinnamon sugar.
Why you'll love this recipe
- I LOVE this chocolate donut recipe because the batter comes together in minutes and they're in the oven and on your table in under 30 minutes!
- Most chocolate cake donuts just taste like chocolate cake in donut form. These actually taste like the slightly dense but moist classic glazed chocolate cake donuts you'd get from a bakery or donut shop.
- No frying = easier clean up and less mess!
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Leavening agents: Baking soda and baking powder are both used.
- Sugar: Granulated, light brown and powdered sugar.
- Nutmeg: This is the secret ingredient that makes them taste more like donuts!
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
How to make chocolate cake donuts
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add wet ingredients and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Carefully pour batter into a resealable bag and cut a corner off to pipe into donut pan. Fill them no higher than ¾ of the way up so they don't bake over.
- Bake donuts for 12-13 minutes or until they are firm and spring back when you touch them.
- Invert donut pan and onto a cooling rack and allow donuts to cool off until cool enough to handle.
- For the glaze, whisk powdered sugar, vanilla and milk one tablespoon at a time until thinned to desired consistency.
- Dunk donuts on both sides quickly and place on a wire rack to dry. Do a second coat if you want the glaze thicker.
More donut recipes you'll love
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Glazed Chocolate Cake Donuts
Chocolate Cake Donuts
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 8 tbs unsalted butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbs milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a donut pan very well.
For the donuts
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, both sugars, nutmeg and salt very well. Add melted butter, eggs and milk and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Carefully pour batter into a ziploc bag and cut a corner off to pipe into donut pan. Fill them no higher than ¾ of the way up so they don't bake over. Bake donuts for 12-13 minutes or until they are firm and spring back when you touch them. Pop them out of the donut pan and onto a cooling rack to cool until warm to the touch.
For the glaze
- Whisk powdered sugar, vanilla and milk one tablespoon at a time until thinned to desired consistency. Dunk donuts on both sides quickly and place on a wire rack to dry. Do a second coat if you want the glaze thicker. Best served immediately or the same day.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.