This perfectly moist carrot cake is chock full of carrots, pineapple and coconut. Topped with hefty layer of my favorite coconut cream cheese frosting!
Remember this carrot layer cake I shared with you guys in 2015? I titled it my favorite.. While that classic carrot cake will always be a favorite, this version I am sharing with you guys today is right there alongside it! As I type this, I am eating a big ol’ slice for breakfast. Vegetables and fruit for the win! I’m having a salad for lunch.. It’s all about balance, my friends.
Anyways, this pineapple carrot coconut cake with cream cheese frosting (<– THAT’s a mouthful), is chock full of lots of delicious stuff. Crushed pineapple, sweetened coconut and carrots are the power trio starring in this recipe. The addition of pineapple and coconut are exactly what every carrot cake is missing! While you can taste them in the cake, they add a very subtle oomph to an otherwise basic carrot cake.
Coconut cream cheese frosting is my favorite frosting ever. I based it off of my recipe I used in this coconut lemon layer cake. And seriously you guys, you are going to want to put this goodness on everything! If you love cream cheese frosting, you will love this coconut version.
Pineapple Carrot Coconut Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tbs cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 2 cups finely grated carrots I like to put mine in the food processor
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple in juice drained
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
*Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting*
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract/flavoring
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbs milk
- optional: 1/4-1/2 cup toasted coconut for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13" pan very well. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, granulated sugar. brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger all together very well. Make a well in the center and add oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat the batter until just combined but smooth, don't over-mix. Fold in the grated carrots, crushed pineapple and shredded coconut with a rubber spatula or spoon. Batter will be thick.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 40-50 minutes. Start checking cake at 35 and check every 2 minutes after that (everybody's oven is different). Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth with no lumps. Add in the coconut flavoring and mix until smooth. Add salt and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time on low until combined. Pour in milk. Whip frosting for another minute or so until smooth and creamy. Frost completely cooled cake and top with optional toasted coconut.