These Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Pinwheels incorporate everything you love about a traditional jalapeño popper, all wrapped up in flakey puff pastry dough!
Once you make these, I seriously dare you to stop at just one. They are so addicting! I love making regular jalapeño poppers where you fill the jalapeño with the filling and wrap them in bacon (AKA the only way to eat them!), but this twist on the classic is such a wonderful change! The sweet, flakey dough surrounding the filling is such a delicious addition. These are so perfect to feed your guests during football season, add your Super Bowl spread or even bring to a potluck! They are always a crowd pleaser. And bonus, nobody will have to know how easy they were to make!
Ingredients needed for Pinwheels
- Cheese: I use a mixture of Mozzarella, Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses
- Cream cheese: Makes the filling deliciously creamy.
- Spices: Garlic powder, Paprika Onion powder, Salt and Pepper – so much yummy flavor!
- Jalapeño peppers: seeded/de-membraned and diced small
- Bacon: Fried until crispy and roughly chopped
- Puff pastry: You need just one sheet of puff pastry. Store bought crescent dough makes this recipe so quick and easy!
How to make Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Pinwheels:
- Mix up the filling which consists of a mixture of cream cheese, assorted cheeses, spices, chopped jalapeño and chopped crispy bacon.
- Spread the filling mixture on the sheet of puff pastry.
- Roll the dough up length-wise and cut 1″ circles out of the log.
- Place them on your prepared baking sheet and before baking, sprinkle with more cheese!
Tips for making the best pinwheels
- If you want them extra spicy, leave the seeds and membranes in the jalapeños.
- Use pepper jack cheese in the cheese mix for an extra kick!
- Be sure cream cheese is softened for easy mixing.
- This recipe is really great to prep ahead of time. I talk more about how to do this below.
Yes! This is such a great appetizer to prepare ahead time. Just prepare the recipe right up to rolling up the dough. Leave the dough in log form until ready to use. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to bake. Before baking, slice the roll and bake according to recipe instructions.
Cheesy Jalapeño Popper Pinwheels
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 jalapeño peppers seeded/de-membraned and diced small
- 3-4 slices crispy bacon roughly chopped (about 1/2-3/4 cup)
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix cheese together and reserve 1/4 cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, and spices until smooth. Fold in cheese, diced jalapeño and bacon until evenly distributed. Roll up dough length-wise and slice into 1″ pieces. Place on prepared baking sheet and top each round with reserved cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned and dough is cooked through.
Dairy Free says
Thanks for the recipe and that looks delicious.