The most tender muffins with a gooey cinnamon swirl center and topped with a sweet crumb topping! These Coffee Cake Muffins with Cinnamon Swirl are truly mouth-watering.
These are undoubtedly the best muffins I have ever made. And I realllllly love making these blueberry muffins and double chocolate muffins. These coffee cake muffins are really easy to make and SO delicious! I'm in love. These are a go-to breakfast treat if we are having guests over. From the crumb topping to the gooey cinnamon swirl in the center of each muffin, these are truly perfection.
- Buttermillk: How to make buttermilk at home: Add ½ tablespoon white distilled vinegar or fresh lemon juice to ¾ cup of milk. Stir and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes util thickened.
Substitutions & Variations
- Nuts: Experiment with different types of nuts in the streusel, such as chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts.
The batter will be very thick! Try not to over mix it or your muffins will be dense.
Coffee cake ironically has no coffee in it, isn't that funny? It's meant to be enjoyed with coffee on the side. Go figure!
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins
Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup buttermillk see notes section to make your own
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 ¼ cups + 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-5 tbs cream or milk if using milk, use less
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease very well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together.
- In a smaller bowl or large measuring cup, whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla until completely combined. Make a well in the center of dry mixture and pour in liquid. Beat until fully combined. Batter will be slightly thick.
- For the crumb topping, whisk together all dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and crumbly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop 2 tbs of muffin batter into each muffin tin. Place 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each. Then, cover with more batter, filling them ¾ to the top. Sprinkle crumb topping on top of each muffin distributing evenly.
- Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist with a few crumbs. Allow them to cool in their pans for 10 minutes or until firm enough to handle before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- While cooling, whisk together glaze ingredients. Drizzle on cooled muffins.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.