The most tender muffins with a gooey cinnamon center and topped with a sweet crumb topping!
*Originally posted on 10/12/14 – I have now updated this post with new photos + a VIDEO! I show you exactly how to make these Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins step-by-step! Scroll down just before the recipe to view.*
Happy Sunday everybody! Today we’re going pumpkin picking with some of our close friends. We go to the same place every year and our kids always have such a blast! Before I head out the door, I need to share this recipe with you guys. These are undoubtedly the best coffee cake muffins I have ever made. And I realllllly love these muffins. And these. But I just may love these even more because my obsession with cinnamon sugar lives on through these. <3
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup buttermillk
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 tbs cream if using milk, use less
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. In a smaller bowl or large measuring cup, whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla until completely combined. Make a well in the center of dry mixture and pour in liquid. Beat until fully combined. Batter will be slightly thick.
- For the crumb topping, whisk together all dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and crumbly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop 2 tbs of batter into each muffin tin. Place 1 tsp of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each. Then, cover with more batter, filling them about 3/4 to the top. Sprinkle crumb topping between each muffin tin distributing evenly.
- Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist with a few crumbs. Allow them to cool in their pans for 10 minutes or until firm enough to handle before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- While cooling, whisk together glaze ingredients. Drizzle on cooled muffins.
- These muffins will keep for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container.