The most tender muffins with a gooey cinnamon center and topped with a sweet crumb topping!
*Originally posted on 10/12/14 – I have now updated this post with new photos + a VIDEO! I show you exactly how to make these Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins step-by-step! Scroll down just before the recipe to view.*
Happy Sunday everybody! Today we're going pumpkin picking with some of our close friends. We go to the same place every year and our kids always have such a blast! Before I head out the door, I need to share this recipe with you guys. These are undoubtedly the best coffee cake muffins I have ever made. And I realllllly love these muffins. And these. But I just may love these even more because my obsession with cinnamon sugar lives on through these. <3
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup buttermillk
- ⅓ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 ¼ cups + 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-5 tbs cream if using milk, use less
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. In a smaller bowl or large measuring cup, whisk buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla until completely combined. Make a well in the center of dry mixture and pour in liquid. Beat until fully combined. Batter will be slightly thick.
- For the crumb topping, whisk together all dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and crumbly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop 2 tbs of batter into each muffin tin. Place 1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of each. Then, cover with more batter, filling them about ¾ to the top. Sprinkle crumb topping between each muffin tin distributing evenly.
- Bake muffins for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist with a few crumbs. Allow them to cool in their pans for 10 minutes or until firm enough to handle before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- While cooling, whisk together glaze ingredients. Drizzle on cooled muffins.
- These muffins will keep for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container.
I just made your coffeecake muffins. They have to be the best muffins I have ever made. They are addicting. Thank you for the recipe.
You're so very welcome! I haven't made these in a while, I'm thinking breakfast this morning! 🙂
Your recipe is absolutely delish! Finished making them a little while ago
Don't know if you mind me using the recipe to make muffins to sell?
They are delicious and i am happy with the way they turned out...very inventive as well, i doubt i could have come up with something so original and delicious
Have a wonderful day
Your comment just made my day! That is so great to hear that you loved these muffins, they're one of my top favorites too! By all means, go ahead and use this recipe, I'm sure you'll sell out in no time!! Let me know how it goes! 🙂
This looks like a tasty recipe! As I made it, however, I noticed the crumb topping is a little strange-looking. Also, it made way too much. Is it perhaps supposed to say a quarter cup of flour rather than one and a quarter cups of flour? (Plus two tablespoons) Thanks!
Nope, the proportions are correct. It makes a ton of topping because you're supposed to really pack it on! 🙂
I only got 8 muffins!!!
2 tbsp battee on bottom, cinammon swirl and then 2 tbsp on top…. Plus the crumb topping..Did I do something wrong??
Delicious, best muffin recipe yet by far!! I am a caregiver for an elderly couple in their 80's. They asked that I keep them on hand in the fridge at all times. Request approved! They nuke in microwave to warm and a perfect ending to evening snack before bedtime. Searching your other recipes, because we are now one of your biggest fans!
Oh, I love this so, so much!