This Caprese Flatbread Pizza is the perfect appetizer made with delicious fresh tomatoes, basil and creamy mozzarella cheese. The balsamic glaze is the final touch that brings all of these delicious flavors together.
As I am writing this post, I am currently staring at my 4 day old baby boy! The past 4 days have been such a whirlwind of emotions and we couldn't be happier or more excited to finally be back in our own home to start life with our little man as a family of four. Ryan Thomas, you've already brought us so much joy. I'll share a little photo of me and the babes from the hospital below. I just love his little sweet face!
Instead of making this flatbread in the oven, I thought it would be a fun idea to grill it to add some extra flavor. I love the subtle charred taste that the grill marks give the crust! To prepare this recipe, I like to start by prepping the balsamic glaze so it will be done by the time the flatbread is done one the grill. All of the ingredients get dumped into a small pot and simmered until thickened.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Delicious: This Caprese flatbread is made with fresh ingredients that pair so well together.
- Easy recipe: This recipe uses refrigerated dough for a quick shortcut and just a few simple ingredients.
For the flatbread, I start with my favorite refrigerated Wewalka Flatbread Dough. Whether baking it in the oven or on the grill, the dough cooks up to thin and crispy perfection every single time - it truly is the best! The dough comes perfectly wrapped on a piece of parchment paper so if you were to bake in the oven, you literally just unroll it and place it on a baking sheet! So awesome. But this works well for any cooking method like on the grill.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Refrigerated Flatbread Dough
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mozzarella cheese
- Roma tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
How to make a caprese flatbread
- Once your grill is preheated and lightly oiled, you'll want to unroll the dough - leaving it on the parchment - and season it with a little salt, pepper and a light brushing of olive oil and place it on the hot grill with the dough facing down. The parchment will stay facing upwards and you can peel it away once the crust cooks through and is firm enough to allow the parchment to come off.
- To bake in the oven, preheat according to package instructions and place dough parchment side down on a baking sheet.
2. Place the mozzarella, tomato slices and basil out evenly and grill/bake until cheese is melted.
3. Drizzle the balsamic glaze on top, cut and serve! You guys are going to love this.
Use fresh, high-quality ingredients. This will make a big difference in the flavor of the flatbread.
Don't overcrowd the flatbread with toppings. This will prevent the cheese from melting evenly.
Bake the flatbread until the cheese is melted and bubbly, but not too browned. Overbaking will make the cheese dry and tough.
Serve the flatbread immediately for the best flavor.
More recipes you'll enjoy
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Grilled Caprese Pizza
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pkg. refrigerated Flatbread Dough
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese sliced
- 4-5 roma tomatoes sliced
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
For the balsamic glaze
- In a small saucepan set to medium-low heat, stir balsamic vinegar and honey together. Allow mixture to come to a gentle boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, or until reduced by almost half. Balsamic reduction is done when it coats the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool.
For the pizza
- Preheat grill to medium heat or preheat oven according to package instructions.
- Unroll refrigerated Flatbread Dough and brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dough to the grill or a baking sheet. Allow to cook until lightly browned on the bottom. Flip over with a pair of tongs and add all toppings on top.
- Turn down the heat and close the lid until cheese is melted.
- Once all cheese is melted, remove from the grill, drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.