This is truly the Best Pizza Sauce ever! It's rich, thick and full of delicious flavor. With this easy pizza sauce recipe, you'll never want to buy pre-made again. This recipe also makes a great dipping sauce!
Pizza is such a favorite in our house that we make it at least once a week. Nothing compares to a homemade pizza! I always use my favorite pizza dough recipe and top it with this insanely delicious Italian pizza sauce followed by a shameful amount of mozzarella cheese.
This pizza sauce is also amazing used as a dipping sauce! I've made it to go with so many things including homemade stromboli, mozzarella sticks, bread sticks - seriously, you can use it for almost anything that calls for a delicious red dipping sauce!
Why you'll love this recipe
- EASY recipe. Comes together quick with no strange ingredients.
- Versatile: Use it as a sauce base for pizza or Stromboli or use it as a dipping sauce.
Ingredients needed for the best pizza sauce
This quick pizza sauce only requires a few pantry staples that I'm sure you already have in your kitchen!
- Garlic: Gives this sauce such a yummy flavor. I like a ton of garlic in my sauce!
- Tomato sauce: I use canned tomato sauce but you can feel free to use freshly
- Tomato paste: Helps to make the sauce nice and thick! Also adds more flavor since it is much more concentrated.
- Spices: Basil, oregano, onion powder, salt & pepper. Taste and adjust these spices to your liking.
- Sugar: I know it sounds like a weird addition but granulated sugar is an essential ingredient as it mellows out the acidity of the tomatoes. The sauce is less "tomato-ey" tasting by adding just a touch of sugar, if that makes sense! Just trust me.
How to make homemade pizza sauce
This homemade pizza sauce recipe is so easy to throw together on the stovetop!
- Cook a bit of garlic in some olive oil until fragrant. Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir until combined and simmer for 20-30 minutes on low heat.
- Once it's nice and thick, it's ready to use. Spread it on your pizza dough or use it as a yummy dipping sauce.
Yes. Cooking the sauce helps the tomatoes to develop their flavor to their full potential and creates an almost roasted taste that you otherwise wouldn't get.
Yes! This pizza sauce freezes so well. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months and simply thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Sure! This pizza sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.
More Recipes You'll Enjoy
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
The BEST Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 28 oz tomato sauce
- 2 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoon basil
- 1 ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- In a medium sized pot set to medium-low heat, add oil and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the rest of ingredients and stir until combined. Simmer for 30 minutes. Spread on pizza dough and top with desired toppings. Can also be used as a dipping sauce.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.