This is one of our favorite overripe banana recipes that gives you perfectly spiced, soft and super moist Banana Nut Bread. Topped off with a sweet cream cheese frosting for the ultimate treat!
In my opinion, for banana bread to be considered the best, it has to be heavily spiced, extra soft and ultra moist. That is exactly what this perfect little bread is. It's topped off with a creamy layer of sweet cream cheese frosting and it's the perfect topping for spiced desserts. Kind of like carrot cake! This banana walnut bread is perfect for dessert, breakfast or anything in between. It's amazing straight out of the oven but it's even better the next day once the flavors get a chance to marry together! It stays moist for days.
Ingredients needed for banana bread
- Brown sugar: All light brown sugar is used in this banana bread recipe to deepen the flavor and ensure that the bread comes out super soft. Just like my easy chocolate chip banana bread.
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves.
- Bananas: You will need 4 bananas for this recipe, about 2 cups of mashed banana.
- Chopped walnuts: You can use any nut you want in this recipe or simply leave them out.
- Cream cheese: Use full-fat block cream cheese or the richest and creamiest results.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions.
Substitutions & Variations
- Substitute walnuts for chopped pecans.
- More add-ins: Chocolate chips, raisins or dried fruit.
How to make the best banana bread recipe
This is such an easy banana bread recipe. Let's use up those overripe bananas!
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all wet ingredients until smooth. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix well until combined. Fold in chopped walnuts. Don't over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Do not over-bake or you will have a very dry, crumbly bread!
- Prepare cream cheese frosting and spread on cooled bread.
Check your banana bread about half way through the bake time. If you notice it is browning too quickly, cover loosely with a piece of foil until finished baking.
Two easy ways to ripen bananas faster:
Quick Method: Bake in the oven at 300F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Paper bag method: Place bananas in a paper bag and leave on the counter for 24+ hours to ripen.
To mash bananas, use a fork, potato masher, or even a hand mixer.
Store this banana walnut bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Slice the cooled banana bread loaf and wrap the slices in a layer of plastic wrap and then place the slices in a resealable, freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
To make this a gluten-free banana bread, use a gluten-free measure for measure flour. You will use it as a one for one substitute for all-purpose flour.
Banana Nut Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- 4 bananas mashed - about 2 cups
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 tbs unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbs heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust oven rack to center position. Grease a 9x5" loaf pan very well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves very well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all wet ingredients until smooth. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix very well until everything is just combined. Fold in chopped walnuts. Don't over-mix. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Do not over-bake or you will have a very dry, crumbly bread! At about 30-35 minutes you will want to cover the bread loosely with a piece of foil so the top doesn't get too dark.
- While bread is cooling, prepare cream cheese frosting. In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth with no lumps. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla extract until creamy and smooth. If you want a thinner frosting, add some heavy cream (or milk) a little bit at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.