Just as the name states.. these buttermilk pancakes are perfect! Fluffy, buttery and so delicious. My family's favorite pancakes and the only recipe we use!
I'm so excited to share this recipe with you guys today! I know what you're thinking.. another pancake recipe out of the other 5 million you can find on the internet, right? But these pancakes are different. They're the best of best! I've mentioned on here a few times how my son is the pickiest eater in the entire world. One thing he loves is pancakes, so I make a double batch of these for the week at the beginning of every week and freeze them for him. Keeping some pancakes on hand in the freezer is incredibly helpful for those hectic school mornings!
The taste and texture of these pancakes is incomparable to any other homemade pancake I've ever made. Sometimes you'll get an amazing flavorful pancake, only to be disappointed by a soggy mess when you add syrup. These pancakes are totally not the case! They do not get mushy or grainy when syrup is added. That's one of the reasons I love them!
Why you'll love this recipe
- This recipe makes pancakes with the most soft and fluffy texture.
- The buttery vanilla flavor is so yummy.
- The basic ingredients make this recipe so easy to make for anyone.
- I just pop them in the microwave out of the refrigerator or freezer for a few seconds and we're good to go. I imagine keeping some on hand in the freezer would be incredibly helpful for those hectic school mornings, too!
- Milk: Any kind of milk is fine.
- White vinegar
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- pinch salt
- Unsalted butter
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
- Chocolate chip pancakes: Add 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Blueberry pancakes: Add 1 cup of blueberries to the batter. Or any kind of berries and fruit!
- Gingerbread pancakes: Add ½ teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon of ground cloves to the batter before cooking.
- Whole wheat pancakes: Use whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- Gluten-free pancakes: Use gluten-free measure for measure flour in place of all-purpose flour.
- Vegan pancakes: Use plant-based milk and butter in place of dairy milk and butter in the batter.
How to make pancakes from scratch
- In a large measuring cup, measure milk and add vinegar. Stir slightly and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add milk mixture along with the rest of liquid ingredients. Stir just until the batter comes together. Add mix-ins now if doing so. Don't over-mix batter or you will have flat pancakes. Set batter aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Make the best pancakes ever!
Be sure not to over-mix your pancake batter as this will overdevelop the gluten leading to dense and flat pancakes!
Store pancakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Once pancakes are completely cool, immediately package the pancakes into freezer-safe bags. Doing this step as soon as they cool ensures they will keep their freshness. I usually do about 6 pancakes per bag for ease to get them apart, they usually separate very easily. To thaw: Place pancakes in a single layer in the microwave and heat for about 20-25 seconds in their frozen state or until they are warm. You can also put frozen pancakes into the toaster.
You need to give them a try, they'll be your family's new favorite too! ❤️
More breakfast recipes you'll love
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Perfect Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbs unsalted butter melted
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large measuring cup, measure milk and add vinegar. Stir slightly and set aside to allow the mixture to "sour" for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add milk mixture, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Add mix-ins now. Stir all ingredients together just until there are no visible flour pockets remaining. Please note: You do not want to over mix this batter - it should be a little lumpy. If the batter is completely smooth and runny, you will have flat pancakes - which taste equally delicious but flat. Set batter aside to rest.
- Turn griddle on medium low heat and add butter or non-stick cooking spray. Pour about 2 tbs-¼ cup of batter for each pancake. Once you see a few bubbles on top and underneath is golden brown, flip and cook the other side - about 2 minutes on each side. Continue the cooking process for the rest of the batter.
- Serve pancakes immediately with some butter, maple syrup, whipped cream or whatever your little heart desires!
Michelle Hwee says
Oh man these look delish!! I love buttermilk pancakes, I wish I could have them every day! I really love all of your photos, it just made me more and more hungry scrolling down to the recipe! It looks relatively simple, I will definitely be giving this one a go soon! Thanks for sharing it, I'm excited to try it out! 🙂
Heather Lisi says
I have never been good at making pancakes, I always try the boxed recipes and my family is brutally honest! They are terrible!
So I figured I would try your recipe.......
Excellent! They were really great and the kids loved them. I added chocolate chips because we are addicted to chocolate in my house and I got rave reviews.
So I just want to say Thank you.
Chelsea B says
These sound delicious! I just tried your lemon blueberry scones and they are keepers! I am always trying to find new buttermilk recipes; can you substitute the milk and vinegar for real buttermilk?
Yes, I have done this and real buttermilk makes the batter a bit thicker than the "homemade" buttermilk does so you will just need to add a bit more.