This is my absolute favorite homemade Cornbread Muffins Recipe. They stay moist for days and are loaded with sweet honey flavor. Serve these sweet corn muffins alongside of some chili or other comforting dish!
Growing up, my mom always had corn muffins for the house. She never made them but she would always go to the food store and come back with huge trays of little mini corn muffins. By the time the groceries were done being put away, my brother and I practically devoured them all already. We love corn muffins, to say the least. BUT. Have you ever had a bad corn muffin? Dry, crumbly and flavorless? I made sure these honey cornbread muffins were extra moist, SUPER flavorful and not at all crumbly just because I know how disappointing a sad, dry corn muffin can be!
These are my very favorite moist corn muffins. Football season is a big deal in our house, so I love making these honey corn muffins with a big crock pot full of chili for my husband and the guys to enjoy while glued to the TV.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Baking these muffins in mini size make these so poppable! They can also be baked in regular sized muffin tin OR a 9x9 square baking pan!
- Easy to Make: These come together so quickly and are on the table in less than 30 minutes!
- Corn meal: Be sure to use cornmeal and NOT corn flour or masa harina. Cornmeal has the perfect, grainy texture that these muffins need.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions.
Substitutions & Variations
The beauty of cornbread lies in its versatility! Here are some ideas to make this cornbread muffin recipe your own:
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins: Fold in shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese to the batter for a savory twist. You can also sprinkle extra cheese on top before baking for an crispy cheesy crust.
- Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins: Add diced jalapeños or green chilies to the batter to infuse a little mild heat and extra flavor. This variation pairs really well with chili or Mexican dishes!
- Herb-Infused: Mix in some chopped fresh herbs like chives, parsley, or rosemary.
- Corn and Cheddar: Amp up the corn flavor by adding whole corn kernels to the batter along with grated cheddar cheese. It's like a savory version of a cornbread muffin.
- Bacon: For a hearty and smoky touch, add crumbled bacon bits to the muffin batter and sprinkle cooked bacon on top of the batter before baking.
How to make easy cornbread muffins
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir very gently with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Distribute the batter into the mini muffin pans ¾ full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are no longer wet and the edges pull away from the sides. Once you remove them from the oven, allow them to rest in the hot pan for 1 minute and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Be very careful to not over-mix the batter or your muffins will come out tough and dense instead of tender.
Be sure to use cornmeal and NOT corn flour or masa harina. Cornmeal has the perfect, grainy texture that these muffins need.
Honestly though, just give me a pan of fresh cornbread muffins and they'll be gone in 30 seconds. Screw dinner.
More recipes you'll enjoy
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Cornbread Muffins Recipe
- 1 ¼ cup corn meal
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tbs light brown sugar
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup + 2 tbs honey
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease mini muffin pan. Alternatively, you can use a regular muffin/cupcake pan OR a 9x9 square pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk corn meal, flour, baking powder, both sugars and salt until thoroughly combined.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, almond milk, vegetable oil, honey and vanilla and whisk until incorporated.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir very gently with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Be very careful to not over-mix the batter or your muffins will come out tough. Mix just until all of the flour is moistened and there are no lumps.
- Distribute the batter into the mini muffin pans ¾ full. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are no longer wet and the edges pull away from the sides. Once you remove them from the oven, allow them to rest in the hot pan for 1 minute and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.