Velvety and rich Mexican Hot Chocolate infused with cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of chili powder to warm you up from the inside out! This Mexican hot chocolate recipe can be made in a slow cooker so you can just set it and forget it or it can also be made quickly on the stovetop.
I cannot even describe how rich, smooth and creamy the texture of this hot chocolate is. You just need to try to for yourself! This spiced hot chocolate recipe recipe makes a very large batch and it's prepared right in your slow cooker so it's perfect for a crowd. Once it's ready, you can set it to warm and simmer it all day so it's there when you want it! If you love abuelita hot chocolate, this homemade spicy hot chocolate recipe is definitely for you!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Unreal texture: Thick, rich, smooth and creamy - absolute perfection.
- Cozy: This warmly spiced hot chocolate is sure to warm you up from the inside out!
What is Mexican hot chocolate?
Mexican hot chocolate is a spiced hot chocolate that is made by combining bittersweet chocolate, dairy, and a blend of warm spices like cinnamon and sometimes chili powder or cayenne pepper.
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Heavy cream
- Whole milk
- Chili powder: Or cayenne or a mixture of both.
- Bittersweet chocolate: Traditional mexican hot chocolate is made with bittersweet chocolate. You can use semi-sweet in it's place if you need to but it will change the flavor.
- Cinnamon sticks: If you don't have these on hand, don't go crazy and just leave them out.
Substitutions & Variations
- Spicy: To really kick up the heat, add cayenne pepper for a spicy hot chocolate.
How to make Mexican hot cocoa
Slow cooker instructions:
- Whisk all ingredients in your slow cooker.
- Set to low and cook for 2-3 hours, whisking every hour or so.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and serve.
- Add all ingredients to a large pot over medium heat. Whisk until chocolate is melted. Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat, whisking frequently. Serve.
Can I make Mexican hot chocolate ahead of time?
By making this recipe in your slow cooker, you can make it early and just set to warm for the rest of the day! That way, it's ready to serve when you need it. Just give it a quick stir every so often.
Mexican hot chocolate has the addition of spices like cinnamon and a touch of heat from chili powder, giving it a deeper and more distinct flavor profile. Regular hot chocolate doesn't contain spices.
Yes, but it is very subtle due to the addition of spices like chili powder or cayenne pepper. However, the level of spiciness can definitely be adjusted to suit your own taste.
To make Mexican hot chocolate from scratch, combine milk, chocolate, spices (such as cinnamon and chili powder), and a sweetener of your choice. Heat and whisk until well blended and creamy.
A traditional Mexican hot chocolate recipe uses a type of chocolate called "table chocolate" or "chocolate de mesa," which is a solid block of chocolate that includes sugar and spices.
Pan dulce (sweet bread) or churros would be delicious with this. You can even dip the churros into the hot chocolate!
More recipes you'll love
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- pinch nutmeg
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- In your slow cooker, whisk sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, whole milk and spices together until combined. Stir in chocolate and cinnamon sticks. Set to low and cook for 2-3 hours, whisking every hour or so.
- Once the chocolate is melted through, remove cinnamon sticks, whisk it well and serve. If not using immediately, set crockpot to warm until you are ready to serve.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.