Soft, fudgy chocolate cookies topped with a melty piece of chocolate, puffy marshmallows and everything gets drizzled in some more melty chocolate. Pretty much everything you know and love about hot cocoa in cookie form! So. Good.
Hi my name is Jessica and I’m a hot chocolate addict. No, but seriously you can find me at any time of the year, at any given time of the day (even the summertime) sipping on the stuff and my favorite hot chocolate everrrr is my cookies and cream hot chocolate, it’s amazing! But if you’re not into drinking hot chocolate, you can always have it in cookie form! Enter: these Hot Cocoa Cookies. There’s something about chocolate and marshmallows together that just make my heart sing.
In these cookies there are two different kinds of chocolate for extra rich chocolatey goodness and then once they’re baked they’re topped with a piece of a chocolate candy bar and mini marshmallows then are placed back int he oven to let the marshmallows get all puffy and melty. After they’re cooled, drizzle on some more chocolate. Talk about perfection! The cookies are ultra fudgy, chewy and super rich in chocolate flavor! One of my favorite cookies to date!
Side note: How adorable is this little cake/cookie stand?! I love these little snow men.⛄️ Thanks mom!
^ Fudgy. Gooey. Melty. YES!!!
Whip up a batch of these hot cocoa cookies and enjoy them while sipping on a warm mug of hot cocoa curled up by the fire. Doesn’t that sound amazing?! These would also be perfect for Christmas cookie baking too. They’re already on my list to bake again because we loved them so much!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1 cup divided
- 1 1 oz package hot chocolate powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs dark cocoa powder OR 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag mini marshmallows you'll need 5 for each cookie
- 15 mini chocolate bars I used Hershey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set to medium heat, add butter and chocolate chips, stirring frequently. Once melted and smooth, stir in hot cocoa powder and allow it to melt it, it will not melt completely and this is okay. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium-sixes bowl, toss together the flour, dark cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment OR hand mixer, beat the brown sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth for about 2 minutes. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture until just combined. Gradually pour in the flour mixture on low speed until just incorporated. Don't over-mix. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour s it is firm enough to scoop. You can make the dough a day ahead, just allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping so it's easier to scoop and roll.
- Scoop and roll the dough to form 1" balls and arrange 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet. Bake until the tops of the cookies start to crack on top, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut all mini candy bars in half (you should have two rectangles together for each cookie) and set aside. Gather 5 mini marshmallows, press them down with the palm of your hand so they stick together and place them on top of each chocolate piece. It's easier to get this step prepared before the cookies come out of the oven. You will want one for each cookie.
- Remove the cookie from the oven and gently press one set of chocolate/marshmallows on top of each cookie. Place them back into the oven until the marshmallows are puffy and soft, about 4 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the pans before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- When cookies are cool, melt chocolate chips in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle on top of cookies and serve.
Cookie base adapted from Rachey Ray.