The fluffiest, most flavorful pumpkin cupcakes topped with the creamiest cream cheese frosting. I make these every year for Thanksgiving!
This post was originally written and published on September 4, 2014 (my first year of blogging!). I left the post as-is and updated with new photos.
I have literally been waiting all year long to share these cupcakes with you guys!! I make them every fall (a billion times) and I honestly have no idea where the recipe is from because it’s so old! Every year I take them along to Mike’s aunt’s house for Thanksgiving and make them mini size because they’re much easier for the kids to eat that way. Let me tell you.. Everybody always fights over them to the last one, they go so quickly!
My Favorite Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs
*Cream Cheese Frosting*
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and spices together and set aside. Cream the butter with the sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin and mix until smooth. Add eggs and beat until fully combined. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated, don’t over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners with an ice cream scoop 3/4 high and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in hot pans before transferring to a wire rack to finish.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting. Cream together the cream cheese and butter until completely smooth with no lumps remaining, about 2 minutes. Add in vanilla. Turn your mixer on low and pour in your sifted sugar a little bit at a time until smooth. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat frosting until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. If you would like a thinner frosting, thin out with some cream or milk.
- Cupcakes will stay fresh for up to 6 days.