The fluffiest, most flavorful BEST pumpkin cupcakes topped with the creamiest cream cheese frosting. I make these Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting every year for Thanksgiving!
These pumpkin spice cupcakes are the fluffiest ever and stay so moist for days. Even by the third day they are still great. What makes these cupcakes better than the rest, is that they actually TASTE like pumpkin spice and are really jam packed with so much incredible pumpkin flavor. A lot of pumpkin desserts really lack flavor and it makes them so dull and unappetizing. But theeeeese perfect little pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting will take you soaring into pumpkin spice heaven.
Why you'll love this recipe
- These pumpkin cupcakes are absolutely bursting with pumpkin spice flavor!
- The cupcakes are super moist with a perfect tender crumb.
- The silky cream cheese frosting is smooth, rich and so delicious.
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
- Pumpkin puree: NOT to be confused with pumpkin pie filling. You want the only ingredients to be pumpkin.
- Cream cheese: Use full fat, block cream cheese for the most rich and flavorful results.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions.
No, these are not the same. Pumpkin pie filling includes sugars, spices and other ingredients. With pumpkin puree, the only ingredient is pumpkin.
Chilled pumpkin cupcakes will stay fresh for up to 6 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also opt to keep them at room temperature for 3 days.
Freeze cooled, unfrosted cupcakes in a resealable, freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature. I recommend making the cream cheese frosting fresh.
My Favorite Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners, set aside.
For the cupcakes
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and spices together and set aside. Cream the butter with the sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin and mix until smooth. Add eggs and beat until fully combined. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated, don’t over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ high and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in hot pans before transferring to a wire rack to finish.
For the frosting
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until completely smooth with no lumps remaining, about 2 minutes. Add in vanilla. Turn your mixer on low and pour in powdered sugar a little bit at a time until smooth. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat frosting until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. If you would like a thinner frosting, thin out with some cream or milk.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.