These cookies are a staple for my family every Christmas. So buttery and perfectly sweet, they are sure to become a family favorite!
These nutball cookies are so nostalgic for me. I have so many memories of making these every single year with my family around Christmas time! They are my absolute favorite Christmas cookie. They’re so buttery and deliciously sweet I can’t stand it! I make them small so I just pop, pop, pop away until I realize I’ve had bout ten in a row. So poppable and SO addicting!
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts chopped very fine (or any nut of choice)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar - for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Add flour and stir until just incorporated. Fold in chopped nuts by hand. Pat dough into a large ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour.
- Once chilled, roll dough into 1" rounded tablespoon balls and place them on prepared baking sheet. Repeat process until all dough is used. Bake cookies for 10-13 minutes or until just very lightly browned on the bottom.
- Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes until cooled enough to handle. Now you have two options: you can roll each cookie in confectioner's sugar while they're still hot (not a fan) or you can do what I do, and that is to place cookies onto a wire rack with foil or something underneath to catch the excess, and then sprinkle the confectioner's sugar on top of them covering the top and sides with a sifter or a mesh strainer.
- Nutball Cookies will stay fresh for up to 7 days stored in an airtight container.