Serve these Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels at your next party, potluck or game day gathering! Buttery dough is filled with a creamy buffalo chicken mixture that gets rolled up, sliced, topped with more cheese and baked to perfection.
I love little roll up appetizers that are easy to eat and I LOVE a good buffalo chicken dip. These chicken pinwheels are perfect if you need a quick appetizer recipe or if you are having a few guests over for a tasty, easy snack. I always receive rave reviews every time I make these!
Why you'll love this recipe
- Make-ahead friendly! These can be made ahead up to one day in advance. Refrigerate as directed in the recipe and just slice and bake when ready to serve!
- QUICK and EASY! These chicken pinwheels come together quickly and are very easy to make.
What type of dough should use for pinwheels?
My favorite dough to use is crescent roll dough. I like to buy the whole crescent dough sheets without perforations when I can find them but you can just pinch the seams together, if needed. You can also try puff pastry or homemade pizza dough, I have tested all of these and they all come out amazing in their own way!
- Crescent dough: Refrigerated, store-bought crescent roll dough. You can substitute puff pastry or pizza dough.
- Cream cheese: Full-fat, brick style cream cheese gives the creamiest results, like in my easy spinach and artichoke dip recipe!
- Ranch dressing: Use a mixture of bleu cheese and ranch if you prefer. Or even just bleu cheese dressing alone.
- Frank's Buffalo Hot Sauce: This is my favorite to use - if you like a different brand or want to change up the flavor, feel free to use what you prefer.
- Cheese: This recipe uses a mixture of colby jack, cheddar and mozzarella cheese. You can switch out and substitute the kinds of cheese as needed, keep the measurements the same.
- Chicken: Shred 1 cup of chicken from a rotisserie chicken or you can boil one chicken breast and shred it for this recipe. In an absolute pinch, you can use canned chicken (not recommended).
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions.
Substitutions & Variations
- Cheese: Use a different kind of cheese or a mixture of your favorites.
- Hot sauce: This recipe calls for buffalo sauce. You can substitute your favorite hot sauce in its place.
- Bleu cheese: Fold in some crumbled blue cheese or sprinkle on top.
How to make buffalo chicken pinwheels
Here is a very brief overview of how easy this appetizer is to make!
- Unroll refrigerated dough.
- Mix buffalo chicken mixture and spread onto dough.
- Roll up, slice and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle tops with cheese and bake!
For easier slicing and cleaner slices, refrigerate after rolling up for at least 30 minutes before slicing. This will help the pinwheels hold their shape.
Use a good quality buffalo sauce.
Try not to overfill the dough. If you overfill them, they will be difficult to roll up.
Serve the pinwheels with ranch or bleu cheese dressing for dipping.
More appetizer recipes you'll enjoy
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
- 2 pkgs store-bought crescent roll dough
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup ranch dressing
- ¾ cup Frank's Buffalo Hot Sauce
- ¾ cup colby jack cheese shredded, DIVIDED
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup chicken cooked and shredded
- Add all shredded cheese to a medium bowl and toss together. Set ½ cup of cheese aside in a small bowl to top pinwheels just before baking.
- In another large bowl, beat cream cheese, ranch dressing and buffalo sauce until smooth. Fold in the shredded cheese mixture and shredded cooked chicken until fully combined.
- Unfold sheet of crescent dough on a lightly floured surface, pinching the seams together if needed. Add buffalo chicken mixture and spread out into an even layer, being sure to get right up to the edges on all sides. Gently roll the puff pastry up into a log.
- Optional: cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hours. Chilling before slicing will make it much easier and cleaner cuts.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease well with non-stick cooking spray.
- With a sharp serrated knife, carefully cut the roll into eight equal pieces. Repeat this process with the second sheet of dough and remaining buffalo chicken mixture.
- Place the rolls on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle the tops of pinwheels with remaining ½ cup of cheese. Bake for 14 minutes or until dough is cooked through and lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the hot pan then serve warm.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.