These easy Red Velvet Brownies are such a beautifully vibrant and decadent treat to make for Valentine's Day or any special occasion! Starting with box mixes for both layers of red velvet and chocolate brownie, this red velvet brownies recipe is so simple and quick to make! You are going to love the irresistible gooey and fudgy texture of these swirled brownies.
Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I hope your day is filled with so much love! 🙂 I have a red velvet treat to share in the form of brownies! The whole recipe is ridiculously easy considering both the chocolate brownie and red velvet layers are made from box mixes for a nice shortcut.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Quick and easy recipe: Only a few ingredients are needed to make these red velvet brownies.
- Perfect for holidays: These brownie bars are the perfect recipe to go along with the theme of Valentine's Day or Christmas when you need a red dessert! Although, I bet you'll be making these year round.
- Gooey and fudgy texture: The texture of the brownies is super rich which is what makes them so irresistible!
- Brownie mix: You will need one standard box of your favorite brownie mix. I recommend using Ghirardelli. You will also need the ingredients required on the back of the box.
- Red velvet cake mix: You will not be adding the ingredients on the box for the red velvet layer. It gets mixed with the remaining recipe ingredients.
- Vegetable oil
Substitutions & Variations
- Try adding chips like semi-sweet chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
How to make red velvet brownies
- Prepare brownie mix according to manufacturer's instructions. Spread into the bottom of the 9x13 pan in a smooth, even layer. Set aside.
- Combine red velvet cake mix, vegetable oil, egg and milk in a large bowl and mix until completely incorporated and smooth. Spoon onto brownie layer randomly and swirl very gently with a butter knife in different directions. I like to zig zag once side to side and then once up and down.
- Bake! for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean with a small amount of batter on it. This will ensure that your brownies will be fudgy. Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into them.
Room temperature: Red Velvet Swirl Brownies will stay fresh for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Freezing instructions: Wrap with a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. Place into a resealable, freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
Red velvet cake is essentially vanilla cake with a small amount of cocoa powder added. Red food coloring is then mixed in to give it its beautifully vibrant red color.
Red velvet is often described as a combination of vanilla with a mild chocolate taste and a hint of tanginess. It pairs perfectly well with cream cheese frosting!
More brownie recipes you'll love
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Red Velvet Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix + ingredients on back of box
- 1 box red velvet cake mix just the powder
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper or grease very well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare brownie mix according to manufacturer's instructions using ingredients on back of box. Spread into the bottom of prepared pan in an even layer.
- In another large bowl, combine red velvet cake mix, vegetable oil, egg and milk and mix until completely incorporated and smooth. Spoon onto brownie layer randomly and swirl very gently with a butter knife in different directions. I like to zig zag side to side then up and down.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean with a small amount of batter on it. This will ensure that your brownies will be fudgy. Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into them.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.