These Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie bars have a gooey caramel center that is sandwiched between chewy chocolate chip cookie layers and topped with coarse sea salt for a sweet + salty combo!
Salted caramel… Why have I waited so long to get into it? It always kinda put me off, even though I love sweet + salty desserts, I’m not sure why. There are just some things that belong together, and sea salt + caramel is one of those things. These bars are chewy, rich and jam packed with lots of flavor.
These bars have my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe for the cookie part and the filling is super gooey, creamy caramel. Talk about a match made in heaven!
When the bars are done in the oven, you sprinkle them with sea salt and then cut them up once they’re cooled completely. If you cut them any sooner, you’ll have a big mess on your hands. Not that I know anything about that..
Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups + 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp corn starch
- pinch salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 11 oz bag caramels, unwrapped
- 3-5 tbs heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter and both sugars together until combined. Stir in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, corn starch, salt and baking soda and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips by hand. Press half of the dough into the pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, add caramels and heavy cream, stirring until smooth. Pour caramel onto cookie dough. Take remaining cookie dough and scatter it on top of caramel. Not to worry if there are open spots. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. Remove from oven, sprinkle with sea salt and place on wire rack to cool completely before cutting into them.
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars will stay fresh for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container at room temperature or 4-5 days in the refrigerator. In warm temperatures, the bars are best kept in the refrigerator and set out at room temperature before eating.