The only recipe you'll ever need for the absolute BEST Rice Krispie Treats every single time! Soft, chewy and ultra gooey, they are the best you'll ever have.
Need another easy cereal treat? Try my Cinnamon Sugar Chex Mix! It's to DIE for!
You know those recipes that when someone takes a bite, they look at you and their eyes bulge out of their head? You know you have a great one when that happens and this is one of those! Happens every time. SUCH a crowd pleaser! I have a special way of making the BEST ever Rice Krispie treats that makes them soft and delicious every single time - for days (if they last that long)!
The trick? Folding in extra marshmallows while adding the cereal. In addition to the melty marshmallows in the first step, adding some in when you stir in the cereal creates hunks of marshmallow all throughout each bar, making them even softer and chewier. The key to perfect homemade rice krispie treats is lots of marshmallows! Not too much or the bars will fall apart and be too gooey and almost soggy. But, just enough and you'll get the most amazing chewy rice krispie treats that hold together beautifully.
Why you'll love this recipe
- These Rice Krispie treats are SOFT and GOOEY!
- Easy recipe. These treats come together in minutes!
- Only THREE ingredients!
- Unsalted butter: I like to use unsalted butter in this recipe so the end result does not come out tasting salty. You can feel free to use salted butter if you'd like your krispie treats to be less sweet.
- Marshmallows: I like to use mini marshmallows because they melt easier and more evenly.
- Rice Krispie Cereal: Name brand and generic both work great.
See recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
There are so many ways you can make Rice Krispie treats your own! Here are some ideas:
- Peanut Butter - Melt creamy peanut butter into the marshmallows for a peanut butter version! Try my Peanut Butter Honey Rice Krispie Treats recipe for a healthier treat without marshmallows - they are SOOO good!!
- Chocolate - Swap out regular Rice Krispie cereal for chocolate Rice Krispies for a delicious chocolate version! OR top this regular Rice Krispie treat recipe with a drizzle of melted chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Fruity - Swap out Rice Krispie cereal for Fruity Pebbles or any other fruity cereal for a fruity treat.
- Special occasions - Stir in food coloring while marshmallows are melting to color the bars. You can also stir in or top with colored sprinkles to match any special occasion or holiday.
How to make the best Rice Krispie Treats
For ease, I like to measure out all of my ingredients first into separate bowls before beginning so each step is super quick.
- Prepare. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine. Melt butter and 9 cups of marshmallows and stir until almost all the way melted. Take mixture off heat and stir in cereal until coated. Add remaining 3 ½ cups marshmallows, folding very quickly so the marshmallows only melt slightly.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down gently into an even layer. Press mixture down firm enough that the bars will hold together but not too firm or they will be too solid when they come to room temperature. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting into squares.
GENTLY press these bars into the pan. DO NOT press them in firmly because the harder they are packed in, the harder they will be when they are set!
Room temperature: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Freezing: While I don't recommend freezing because they are so quick to make and SO much better fresh, you can place Rice Krispie treats in a freezer-safe, resealable bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
Sure! While they may not technically be Rice Krispie treats if you do this, you can make this recipe with just about any cereal you'd like.
This is most likely due to pressing the mixture down into the pan too firmly. To avoid this, press it down gently and you will have perfectly soft and chewy Rice Krispie treats!
You can use honey and peanut butter. Here is a recipe for my Peanut Butter Honey Rice Krispie Treats!
You can make these gluten-free by using cereal and marshmallows that are labeled gluten-free!
More dessert bars you'll love:
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a ⭐️ review below and tag @sprinkle_some_sugar on Instagram!
Best Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 12 ½ cups mini marshmallows DIVIDED (you'll need two 16 oz bags)
- 8 ½ cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- (For ease, measure out all ingredients first in separate bowls before beginning.)
- In a large pot, melt butter on medium-low heat. Add 9 cups of mini marshmallows and heat until almost all the way melted but not quite, stirring frequently. Take mixture off heat and stir in cereal until coated. Add remaining 3 ½ cups marshmallows, folding very quickly so the marshmallows only melt slightly.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press down gently into an even layer using a piece of parchment paper or the back of a lightly greased rubber spatula. Press mixture down firm enough that the bars will hold together but not too firm or they will be too solid when they come to room temperature. Allow bars to cool completely before cutting into squares.
The provided nutritional information is an estimate per serving. Accuracy is not guaranteed.